About Jon Biemer, P.E. - Making the world a better Place
Jon Biemer’s love of radio led him to a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering and two years working in aerospace. Due to his disillusionment with the military industrial complex, his desire to develop alternatives to nuclear power, and his own moral code, he went back to college and focused on Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis on solar energy and energy conservation. While studying he began working with a consulting engineering firm specializing in solar energy and in 1978 he earned his Professional Engineering registration in Mechanical Engineering.
After 4 years of working with buildings, Jon wanted to have greater impact and chose to work with Bonneville Power Administration. During his tenure with the utility, Mr. Biemer engaged in activities such as energy conservation research and program management, and he also engaged organizational development projects when he saw the opportunity.
Mr. Biemer’s love of radio evolved into a love of Process-Oriented Psychology, which Mr. Biemer has studied for more than a decade. He became a certified mediator and a senior organizational development consultant.
Through most of his career Mr. Biemer has been both an activist and a writer. He helped rid Oregon of nuclear power, and he helped bring outdoor school to every Oregon school. Beginning in 2007 he began developing the Environmental Handprint. Handprint thinking emphasizes the good we do. His forthcoming book, Healing Our Planet -- How Handprints Create Sustainability, offers more than 180 opportunities to create sustainability.
Mr. Biemer started Creating Sustainability as a sole-proprietor organizational development consulting practice in 2008. He integrates his activism, consulting, writing and presentations using one approach.
Stand beside the client and work together to meet the client’s goals.
Mr. Biemer brings his experience, skills and insight to every situation, whether the goal is improving yourself, your business or our planet.
Other impact and value-driven activities include:
- Community Consulting Program -- Oregon Organizational Development Network
- Participating in Portland’s Village Building Convergence
- Performing an eco-retrofit of his current family home
- Living without a car
- President of Portland’s Earth and Spirit Council for 3 years
- 23 years with Bonneville Power Administration's Energy Efficiency Program
- 4 years with McCaughey & Smith Energy Associates specializing in commercial solar applications
- Walked the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline Route
- Oregon Anti-nuclear ballot measures
EDUCATION and Training
- Process Oriented Psychology (Process Work) Certificate, focusing on Organizational Development
- Certified Mediator and Case Manager.
- Certified Enterprise Risk Manager (CERM)
- Professional Registration in Mechanical Engineering, California M19571
- Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering